[Fedora-legal-list] possible ettercap license issue.

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Wed Feb 9 15:09:01 UTC 2011

On 02/08/2011 12:40 PM, Dave Jones wrote:

> The comment strikes me as a GPL incompatibility. (License is GPLv2+)
>
> Should anything be done about this ?
>
> (The obfuscated code seems to check a date, and print a message asking you
> to send birthday wishes to the author. Cute, but annoying to come across such
> things when auditting for security issues).

Just to follow up on this issue:

A) Yes, the comment is a GPL incompatibility, and it makes the whole
licensing of ettercap non-free.
B) I emailed the authors of ettercap and they quickly responded, giving
Fedora written permission to remove the comment.
C) I've committed a copy of their email, and a patch to remove the
comment from ettercap to Fedora GIT, and rebuilt the package in rawhide.

~tom

==
Fedora Project