[Fedora-legal-list] Drupal module licensing

Jason L Tibbitts III tibbs at math.uh.edu
Tue Jan 18 22:53:31 UTC 2011

OP> Most of the drupal modules that I've looked into packaging do not
OP> have any license preamble in the code.  They contain a copy of the
OP> GPLv2 license in LICENSE.txt.  As such, I've marked them as GPLv2.

Shouldn't that be GPL+?

Obviously you should get clarification from upstream, but according to
clause 9 of version 2 of the GPL text, you can choose any version at
all:

"If the Program does not specify a version number of this License, you
may choose any version ever published by the Free Software Foundation."

See also
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Licensing:FAQ#How_do_I_figure_out_what_version_of_the_GPL.2FLGPL_my_package_is_under.3F

OP> According to http://drupal.org/licensing/faq/#q4 modules on the
OP> drupal.org cvs site should be GPLv2+, and I've had requests to
OP> update the license tag:

In the past we have referred to upstream web sites in the case that we
had reasonable certainty that the web site and the code had the same
author.  Is that the case here?

 - J<