[Fedora-legal-list] ssh enable and firewall open for sshd connection by default after install who's legally liable?.

"Jóhann B. Guðmundsson" johannbg at gmail.com
Thu May 19 15:41:53 UTC 2011

On 05/19/2011 03:17 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> The Fedora distribution itself is wrapped with GPLv2, which includes a
> "no warranty" statement.  To what extent does that not apply?

That is a good question.

This is an deliberate decision to make it like this this is not a
software flaw and I'm not sure GPLv2 covers bad decision making on our
behalf.

Another example we have ambassadors around the world that hand out the
dvd to people with various IT skill level ranging from none to experts.

Now an novice end user takes home his Fedora dvd installs which he got
handed at some event by our representative.

At install time he sets the root password "tinkerbell" month later he
finds him self in some legal/financial jam because some cracker rented
himself a cloud or simply build himself one, cracked that novices end
users box in 0.1s and did his evil doing.

Is our end user left out in outhouse scratching their head for simply
not knowing any better holding a subpoena in one hand and $50K fine in
the other?

Is the project liable and or those that made that bad decision ( FESCO
in this case ) ?

Are our ambassadors liable themselves liable for handing out that dvd at
that event?

JBG