[Fedora-legal-list] Legal opinion on license for EQP

John C. Peterson jcp at eskimo.com
Tue Jan 3 21:35:25 UTC 2012

Hello,

I am in the process of packaging an application known as EQP. There
are a couple of quirks related to the license and it was suggested that
I query the fedora-legal-list here for opinions.

The website where the software is distributed makes the following
statement:

"But it has obtained several interesting results, and we have decided
to make it available (including the source code) to everyone, with no
restrictions (and of course no warranty)."

The page itself is here: http://www.cs.unm.edu/~mccune/eqp/

Unfortunately, the source code tarball itself contains nothing to
clarify further the copyright, license terms. Obviously, the path of
least resistance would be to contact the author for clarification.

The other problem is that the author passed away back in May 2011,
so contacting him is not an option. I don't know for certain, but I
would suspect that whoever funded the author's research is possibly
the ultimate owner of the copyright, so further clarification is not
an automatic dead end.

Maybe rpmfusion is a better home for this?

Regards, John

--
John C. Peterson, KD6EKQ
mailto:jcp at eskimo.com