[Fedora-legal-list] php-channel-* licence

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Mon May 21 13:49:05 UTC 2012

On 05/19/2012 02:11 AM, Remi Collet wrote:
> Le 18/05/2012 20:16, Tom Callaway a écrit :
>>
>> I'm not sure I understand. Are these .xml files marked as being in the
>> Public Domain?
>
> No, and that's the problem. There is no explicit License on this file.
>
> I think of "public" because this is not code, just a small configuration
> file, mainly the name and URL of a repository.
>
> This file is generated by the pear server (often pirum[1])
>
> Content is closed to one in a yum .repo file

I would not consider such a generated file that only contains a name and
location of a repository to be copyrightable in the United States. It is
my opinion, based on Feist v. Rural, that there is no real creative
expression here (especially since these files are generated).

So, you're fine to include these files and treat them as if they were in
the Public Domain in Fedora.

~tom

P.S. I'm not a lawyer. This shouldn't be considered legal advice.

==
Fedora Project