[Fedora-legal-list] Overall license and Creative Commons

Tom Callaway tcallawa at redhat.com
Tue Oct 30 15:03:04 UTC 2012

On 10/30/2012 08:55 AM, Volker Froehlich wrote:
> Dear list readers!
>
> The artwork of the game "flare" is licensed under the terms of CC-BY-SA
> 3.0 or later. That's at least what the header says on
> https://github.com/clintbellanger/flare-game/wiki/Credits
>
> Scrolling down to the details, you find various licenses stated:
>
> - CC-BY-SA 3.0
> - CC-BY 3.0
> - CC-BY 2.0
> - Public Domain
> - Public Domain, CC0
>
> I wonder if the above license claim is correct.

Well, CC-BY-SA is the most restrictive license of the bunch, and there
aren't
any odd clauses in the other licenses, so if you honored the terms of
CC-BY-SA 3.0
for all of the artwork, you'd be compliant with all of the licenses.

At the strictest legal sense, all of the other licenses still exist and
apply. If you were to package this artwork for Fedora, you could do either:

[Interpreted]
License: CC-BY-SA

[Strict]
License: CC-BY-SA and CC-BY and Public Domain and CC0

Either is correct, the choice is up to the packager.

~tom

==
Fedora Project