[Fedora-legal-list] python-requests relicensing question

Ralph Bean rbean at redhat.com
Mon Feb 25 20:59:53 UTC 2013

python-requests has a license change at version 1.0.0.

We currently have the old version packaged, licensed ISC.
The new version is licensed Apache2.

https://github.com/kennethreitz/requests/commit/5c1bc201c46297d39d591e5d30e0e65a989bd22c

We've been hesitating about whether or not to update because we're not
sure what impact the license change will have on dependant
packages/applications.

For instance, a hypothetical GPLv2 python program may currently be
importing python-requests for use at runtime.  If we updated
python-requests (from ISC to Apache2), would we be throwing that
program into a license violation?

Should we go ahead and update?  Do we need to take any special precautions?