[Fedora-legal-list] mysql-python

Tomas Radej tradej at redhat.com
Wed Mar 13 18:09:47 UTC 2013

Hi,

On Wed, 13 Mar 2013 10:36:18 -0600
Ken Dreyer <ktdreyer at ktdreyer.com> wrote:

> Since the MySQL-python package is licensed GPLv2+, does that mean that
> any projects which happen to import "mysql-python" must be released
> under the GPL?

IANAL, and I am just a licensing enthusiast.

If I am not mistaken (which I easily may be, so anyone is free to tear
this mail to shreds), the FSF's stance is that yes, this consitutes a
derivative work and henceforth, you are required to use GPLv2 or later as
well.

Spot or someone from Legal will surely give you a sounder answer.

Tomas Radej

Tomas Radej <tradej at redhat.com>