[Fedora-livecd-list] how to set root password?

pseudo vector ps3udov3ctor at gmail.com
Tue Apr 10 17:38:54 UTC 2007

On 4/9/07, Brian Cain <brian.cain at gmail.com> wrote:

> Oh, I guess I didn't read closely enough.  Have you executed the lines
> you're using in a shell on a fc6 system and verified that it works?  I
> can't help thinking that chpasswd is mucking things up.  Can you try
> and see if you can login if you echo a password to the passwd command?
>  Even if you're nervous about a plaintext login on the livecd media,
> it's still worthwhile to execute for debugging's sake.

> By "set properly", you mean that the contents of /etc/shadow matches
> what you have in your shell script?

Oh man, am I stupid. No I didn't try on an existing system, so sure
was I that I had done everything right. I just did it though and found
sure enough that the same encrypted pw doesn't work on another fc6
system. The problem? I use a shell script to encrypt the passwords.
The password I'm trying to use has a $ in it. The shell expanded that
$ and the subsequent text as a variable, since it didn't exist it
expanded to 0, and encrypted that string instead of the one I
intended. If I replace that part of the password string with a 0,
voila, I can log in. Total PICNIC error.

Sorry to waste your time and the resources of the mailing list.

Thanks for your help.