[Fedora-livecd-list] List of previous issues with livecd-tools which should be addressed

Jasper Hartline jasper.hartline at gmail.com
Tue Aug 17 18:59:27 UTC 2010

On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 7:07 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Aug 17, 2010 at 1:19 AM, Jasper Hartline
>> That is a way to use dmsetup and kpartx (device mapper)
>> to actually make the loop device have partitions which we are more
>> used to using.
>>
>> I think my offset into the original file is off in the second loop device setup.
>
> I checked out the link and it obviously uses a lot of shell commands.
> I think at some point a shell script would be better than a bunch of
> subprocess calls, however, I think much of it could be mitigated by
> using modules that allow us to get the same result without the
> subprocess calls. I haven't had time to check it out, but I saw a
> reference to pyparted which might allow us to do the 'partitioning' of
> the lodev natively.

Yeah. Pretty much I'll just use what I have as a skeleton I suppose.
pyparted. I was just thinking how many Python modules.. I could use.
Is it worth doing completely in Python using a few modules?

So far I've come to the conclusion livecd-iso-to-disk needs large bits
hacked on it
or.. I could duplicate some of what livecd-iso-to-disk does in the
mkbiarch.py script.

Here's the problem with using livecd-iso-to-disk:
It thinks you have a real block device
It tries to add "1" to "dev" so "sda" becomes "sda1" for example.
It doesn't like using device mapper mapped devices.. found that out last night.
(/dev/dm-1 for example which is /dev/mapper/loop0p1)

The existing bug in livecd-iso-to-disk where checkFilesystem() is after
a specific section in the code, makes it always default to mkfs.vfat
regardless of partition type.

I think some other reasons why I will probably write mkbiarch.py to
just do what it needs
bypassing livecd-iso-to-disk.