[Fedora-livecd-list] booting LiveCD ISO using PXELINUX

mammar mammar at gmail.com
Thu Dec 2 21:52:24 UTC 2010

Hi,

As far as i know, when a client boots over network using pxe, to boot linux
it just need the following two files extracted from the iso image

vmlinuz: compressed Linux kernel executable
initrd (initail RAM disk): initial root file system

The client download the above two files and then start booting the linux.
Other files are for supporting the pxe protocol.

It doesn't need the ISO.

I think label Fedora-13-live.iso is used by dracut during mount the rootfs.

*It would be great if someone can describe in detail the purpose of
root=live:/ISOLABEL and why only correct iso image label work.  *

Regards,