[Fedora-livecd-list] LZMA Support

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Mon Dec 6 14:10:36 UTC 2010

On Mon, Dec 06, 2010 at 17:48:35 +0500,
  mammar <mammar at gmail.com> wrote:
> Hi
>
> The following links says that kernel supports the LZMA compression algorithm
> but "man livecd-creator" says that "lzma currently requires a custom kernel
> to produce a functional image".
>
> http://kernelnewbies.org/Linux_2_6_30#head-5773b3b80a9c48eca5aae1e45561f9237d493ae1

That link is wrong. I tried to tell them about it when that page was created,
but the notice didn't make it through or was ignored. Phillip did submit
a pull request for LZMA support in 2.6.30, but Linus rejected it. Only some
clean up was done. LZMA support for squashfs is still not in the upstream
kernel.

It didn't make the 2.6.37 merge window. If it makes it into 2.6.38, then we
will have it for F15. Phillip is still doing work with squashfs and seems
to want to eventually get it upstream, but I am not sure what the priority
is for this. This past spring and summer, there was significant effort to
get xattr support into squashfs. There has also been recent discussion on
the squashfs devel list about lzma vs xz and kernel support.