[Fedora-livecd-list] edit-livecd tool usage

J.Heather at surrey.ac.uk J.Heather at surrey.ac.uk
Wed Feb 24 12:04:25 UTC 2010

> > One pain is that it seems you don't have net access once you're dropped
> > inside the chrooted environment. My idea was to update the image by
> > running 'yum update' from inside the chroot, but it doesn't work because
> > it can't find the network. Is there an easy way round this?

> Although this does seem like an interesting use case, I would argue that
> if you are going to be adding packages or updating a full livecd image,
> this should be done in the ks file and the image should be rebuild using
> livecd-creator.

Yes, I agree, that is the proper way of doing it. Sometimes it's useful for a quick test, though, because it's much quicker than building from scratch.

There will be other use cases that need network access, though, e.g., downloading an SSH key from somewhere else, or synchronising a file with a remote host.

It seems that it's pretty easy to get network access up and running: it just means copying /etc/resolv.conf and /etc/hosts from the host machine to the chroot jail. Ideally what would happen is that the chrooted versions would get saved somewhere (outside the chroot), the host machine's versions would get dropped in, the shell or script would be run, and then the originals would be put back before the rebuild.

How about a '--network' option that adds this in? (Probably best not to do it by default, in case the user is trying to alter one of those two files, in which case the alterations would fail when the originals get put back.) To my mind, that would make it um heap big more useful.

Ta.

James