[Fedora-livecd-list] Booting live usb stick off iMac

Stewart Adam maillist at diffingo.com
Fri Jul 9 16:12:35 UTC 2010

On 2010/07/09 10:31 AM, James Heather wrote:
> Can anyone tell me how I can create a live USB stick that will boot from
> an iMac?
>
> The restriction here is that I mustn't alter the config of the Mac in
> any way (because it's not my machine and I can't risk screwing it up).
>
> Googling suggests that I need to mess with EFI, but I don't really
> understand the details.
>
> J.
See section "Making Fedora USB Media with dd" here:

http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/13/html/Installation_Guide/Making_USB_Media-UNIX_Linux.html#Making_USB_Media-UNIX_Linux-RHEL_Fedora-dd

Note that this method will erase all data currently on the disk.

YMMV, in my case booting from EFI is broken an hangs just after loading
vmlinuz in GRUB.

Regards,
Stewart