[Fedora-livecd-list] Bug in livecd-iso-to-disk for netinst images

Richard Shaw hobbes1069 at gmail.com
Tue Jun 15 21:22:46 UTC 2010

On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 3:19 PM, Jasper Hartline
<jasper.hartline at gmail.com> wrote:
> On Tue, Jun 15, 2010 at 10:35 AM, Richard Shaw <hobbes1069 at gmail.com> wrote:
>> I have the following bug[1] filed initially against anaconda but I
>> think it's really a bug in the livecd-iso-to-disk utility.
>>
>> To summarize here:
>> I used the livecd-iso-to-disk utility to setup a usb flash drive with
>> the Fedora 13 netinstall iso. The problem is that the tool sets up the
>> repo= parameter to anaconda which prevents anaconda from using an
>> online source for packages. From what I understand now it should
>> specify the stage2= parameter instead, which will allow anaconda to
>> use the local install.img but still get installation packages from
>> another source.
>
> I'm sure any patches are welcome if you believe this is a problem in
> livecd-iso-to-disk
> We have several people available who can commit.

I'm not a bash programmer but I do know some python, but here's what I
think is wrong, in theory...

The detection portion of the code:
---
detectisotype() {
    if [ -e $CDMNT/LiveOS/squashfs.img ]; then
        isotype=live
        return
    fi
    if [ -e $CDMNT/images/install.img ]; then
        isotype=installer
        return
    fi
    echo "ERROR: $ISO does not appear to be a Live image or DVD installer."
    exitclean
}
---
There needs to be a third option with the correct logic to figure out
that install.img is available, but packages are not. Maybe it could be
something like isotype=net_installer.

Then this part:
---
# DVD Installer
if [ "$isotype" = "installer" ]; then
  sed -i -e "s;initrd=initrd.img;initrd=initrd.img
repo=hd:$USBLABEL:/;g" $BOOTCONFIG $BOOTCONFIG_EFI
  sed -i -e "s;stage2=\S*;;g" $BOOTCONFIG $BOOTCONFIG_EFI
fi
---
Might need to look like:
---
# DVD Net Installer
if [ "$isotype" = "net_installer" ]; then
  sed -i -e "s;initrd=initrd.img;initrd=initrd.img
stage2=hd:$USBLABEL:/;g" $BOOTCONFIG $BOOTCONFIG_EFI
  sed -i -e "s;stage2=\S*;;g" $BOOTCONFIG $BOOTCONFIG_EFI
fi
---
Although I think the 2nd sed line would need to occur first or I think
it will erase what the first sed line does.

Richard