[Fedora-livecd-list] Accessibility on the LiveCD and installing from LiveCD

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Mar 2 19:06:50 UTC 2010

Hello,
Firstly let me briefly introduce myself. I have been using Linux for
some years now, originally starting out in text consoles but for the
last couple of years more and more in the gnome desktop. I am a blind
computer user so rely on assistive technologies such as orca
http://live.gnome.org/Orca. My main history has been on distributions
such as slackware and debian, however I felt may be time to start
looking around (partly as I want to do some work on promoting the
accessibility in Linux and for that I may be better with a distribution
such as fedora).

Now to the actual main subject. I just tried installing fedora 12 from
the LiveCD. In the main the process is reasonably accessible (there are
a few points I would alter for a really good user experience, but still
usable), however when I went to reboot the system after running the
installer I hit a big show stopper, the first boot application is
inaccessible and I couldn't find any work around. The issue is that it
runs before loading the full gnome desktop so I can't launch orca and
there is no text based screen reader (eg. speakup or YASR). I have one
question, why does fedora use this first boot application? other
distributions seem to be able to do all that this does (I read the quick
start guide for details of what the first boot application does) on the
LiveCD installer (eg. opensuse, opensolaris, GRML's grml2hd, etc). Would
it be possible for these things to be dealt with on the LiveCD? If there
is a good reason why some may want the first boot application, may be it
could be an optional thing (eg. in the liveinst programme we have a
checkbox for "Use first boot application", if ticked the first boot
application will be used, if unticked user configuration will be done in
liveinst). Another alternative, may be not so satisfactory to me, have
some sort of accessibility for first boot. This would take the form emit
a sound (may be a beep) when first boot starts, the user could use a
keyboard shortcut to load a screen reader. May be accessibility for
first boot could be set to start automatically on the LiveCD (may be a
check box, may be if accessibility is enabled on the LiveCD
accessibility for first boot could be enabled). The big question would
be though, what screen reader will work with first boot? I am sorry I
can't answer this as I can't see the first boot application and so don't
know if it is text based, GTK based, etc.

Other than the speakup modified fedora (which I don't think is an
official fedora distribution) there is no accessible way for a blind
user to install fedora. Anyway for what I need the speakup modified
fedora will not do as it uses the text based installer and so will use
the whole disk, but I have windows on that disk and want to preserve the
windows installation. The LiveCD looks like the most promising solution
for installing fedora if the show stopper problem I mentioned above is
solved.

I will quickly say why I feel accessible install of fedora should
matter. While accessibility of the desktop system itself is important,
many computers don't come with Linux preinstalled, and so many users may
need to install it themselves. Now the LiveCD gives me a good chance to
see what fedora can do (in fact I will be honest and say in the past
that generally fedora has been overlooked by me, but I decided to look
at the LiveCD and it has changed my mind), and if you like what you see
you want to get it installed. Its not always possible to get sighted
assistance and sometimes the sighted assistant may not be as computer
knowledgeable as you would hope, so it would be best if the blind user
could install it independently. Other distributions have made it
possible for blind users to do an accessible install (ubuntu, opensuse,
opensolaris, slackware and debian, possibly others) and so fedora falls
behind in this respect. Talking personally, I cannot proceed with fedora
at the current time as I don't have the appropriate support to get
beyond the first boot screen.

I would be prepared to work with fedora developers to try and solve this
major issue and other smaller issues regarding the accessibility of
installing fedora from LiveCD. Would it be best for me to ask this else
where or approach anyone in particular?

Michael Whapples