[Fedora-livecd-list] mandatory syslinux on live cd causes perl dependency

Marc Herbert Marc.Herbert at gmail.com
Thu Mar 4 10:49:51 UTC 2010

Hi Mads,

> Livecd-creator is executed on the host system and creates isolinux.cfg
> (syslinux.cfg) by its own logic and hardcoded templates. It also runs
> isohybrid if available, and the hosts livecd-iso-to-disk runs syslinux.
> I don't see any reason why livecd-creator should use vesamenu.c32 and
> isolinux.bin from the installed image.

Because it makes sure they are available and from a well defined
version?

I think a bootloader is generally supposed to "belong" to the system it
boots. People say that they have installed "Fedora 16", not "Fedora 16
and GRUB 3.14". Looks like you are suggesting to make the liveCD even
more an exception to this rule than it already is. Is this the right
design choice? I honestly do not know.  If it made sense I would prefer
going all the opposite way and depend as little as possible from the
software of the (unknown) build system.

> Using files from different unrelated packages even has the risk of
> causing problems whenever the feature-set changes.

Could you elaborate on this?

> I think the best solution is to drop the hardcoded dependency to
> syslinux and use the files from the host system.

Then a new "syslinux-data" RPM would still be useful - now to the build
system.

FYI: my build system tends to be automatically kickstarted to avoid the
concerns I mentioned above.