[Fedora-livecd-list] Espeak as default text to speech engine on LiveCD

Michael Whapples mwhapples at aim.com
Tue Mar 9 10:10:31 UTC 2010

Hello,
Would it be possible for espeak to be made the default text to speech
engine on the LiveCD?

Reasons for why making the change:
* At the moment the LiveCD comes with festival but this is slow in
comparison to espeak. This means that for users of tools such as orca,
the information presented is delayed and so makes the system appear
unresponsive. This is particularly emphasised at points where orca may
be slow to respond anyway (eg. if the system is under some load or focus
is in a large and/or complicated GUI structure).
* Espeak comes with support for many languages where as festival is
limited (I believe the LiveCD only has one language for festival).
* I believe espeak is more compact than festival. This is particularly
true when considering the number of languages supported by espeak.
* Espeak seems to be more controllable than festival. I don't really
notice any change in festival when I adjust the speech rate in orca, I
do get a change with espeak. This is important as if the speech output
is too fast for a user then they cannot understand it and so cannot use
the system, if it is too slow this is frustrating as it makes the use of
the system unnecessarily slow.

What is required for espeak to be used by orca? The two packages needed
are espeak and gnome-speech-espeak. If the festival packages are removed
then orca will use espeak by default, if festival is not removed then
users can choose between the two.

I hope you will consider changing this on the LiveCD as it should
improve the user experience for blind users.

Michael Whapples