[Fedora-livecd-list] livecd with busybox

James Heather j.heather at surrey.ac.uk
Mon May 2 23:01:09 UTC 2011

I have a feeling you're going to get into trouble trying this.

Most of those utils are provided by the coreutils package, which is a
prerequisite for a million other essentials. I think you would have to
start by building your own version of the busybox RPM, and adding a line
to the spec file to tell it that it provides coreutils. That will avoid
the dependency problems. It would also have to put symlinks to busybox
in /usr/bin to replace all the missing commands.

Unfortunately, though, it's extremely likely to go wrong. Busybox
packages generally don't provide all the same switches for the core
commands; they often provide only the most important ones. Any package
that relies on (e.g.) "mkdir -Z" will now fail. And my guess is that
there will be hundreds of such failures, and they'll each give you a
massive headache.

Busybox is useful for creating a completely custom-made setup, but not
for replacing the core commands in an already existing setup.

James