[Fedora-livecd-list] LiveCD from current install

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sun Sep 23 17:30:44 UTC 2012

On Thu, Sep 20, 2012 at 11:36 AM, Marcelo Guazzardo
<mguazzardo76 at gmail.com>wrote:

> Hi All:
>
> I would like to make a livecd from my current install. I tried with
> revisor and other tools, but, all those tools create an iso from an
> kickstart file, and then, I should copy my customs configurations. I have
> try to create a squashfs file, and then replace it in the FC 17 LiveCD. I
> could boot succesfully, but, when anaconda starts, I allways gets an error.
>
> I have several questions about creation of Livecd.
>
> How create a DM Snapshot , like osmin.img . I have search about this file,
> apparently and lvm cow snapshot, but I didn't find how generate this file.

Device-mapper snapshots are created in the DeviceMapperSnapshot class,
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/livecd/tree/imgcreate/fs.py#n532

(The args Python list variable provides the elements of a Bash command
line, dmsetup create.)

The basic steps to create osmin.img are described in the
create_image_minimizer()
function in fs.py,
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/livecd/tree/imgcreate/fs.py#n612

The Python functions usually resolve to a Bash command.

 I was studying the livecd-creator code, but I didn't understand the python
> code. ¿Anyone here knows what are the steps in bash to create the snapshot,
> and the lvm snapshot? (osmin.img and squashfs.img files ).
>

> Any hint will be appreciated.

 The README, has a section 2.1 How the Live CD Creator Works,
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/livecd/tree/README#n47
that describes the basic steps.

Thanks in advance.

> --
> Marcelo Guazzardo
> mguazzardo76 at gmail.com
> Fedora Ambassador for Argentina.-
> Linkedin: http://www.linkedin.com/pub/marcelo-guazzardo/a/541/842
> http://mguazzardo.wordpress.com <http://mguazzardo.blogspot.com>

The Fedora livecd-tools package contains a Python script, edit-livecd, to
rebuild a livecd from a customized LiveOS image,
http://git.fedorahosted.org/cgit/livecd/tree/tools/edit-livecd

I have been working on a more feature full version, editliveos,
http://cgit.sugarlabs.org/~FGrose/soas/sugar-clone-extensions.git/tree/editliveos

It includes several new options for adjusting the image filesystem size as
well as home.img and overlay file sizes. See this wiki section for the
--help listing:

http://wiki.sugarlabs.org/go/Sugar_on_a_Stick/Sugar_Clone#editliveos.help

It includes editliveos.py plus liveimage-mount, and temporary versions of
fs.py, live.py, creator.py, util.py (pending incremental patches for
livecd-tools acceptance). The livecd-iso-to-disk installation script is a
new version that uses chroot to run from the embedded source filesystem.
There is also a new Bash script, LiveOS-merge, for merging a LiveOS
snapshot and refreshing an installation with the new image. (A new
osmin.img is not created, but it is only used during installation of a
traditional image from a LiveOS image.)

         --Fred