[Fedora-livecd-list] F18: not mounting persistent home

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Mon Feb 4 15:53:36 UTC 2013

On Mon, Feb 4, 2013 at 6:18 AM, James Heather <j.heather at surrey.ac.uk>wrote:

> It appears that /etc/rc.d/init.d/livesys gets executed, but the boot
> process isn't waiting for it to complete. So it runs for ever in the
> background, waiting for the password.
>
> When the machine has booted up, if I Ctrl-Alt-F2 and log in as root, I
> can see that livesys is still running, as is plymouth, still waiting for
> the password.
>
> I can't work out why this would be happening on a live USB stick, but
> not on a HDD installation. My other machines have seemingly the same
> setup, but they run fine.
>
> Please help... even if it's just to say that you are(n't) having this
> problem. It would be nice to know if it's just me.

I've experienced the same unanswerable wait for a password with a
crypto_LUKS partition on home.img but not with an --unencrypted-home setup
of a Live USB.

I noticed it also with updated Fedora 17 Live images.  I suspect that the
systemd interaction with the crypto_LUKS players needs attention.

        --Fred