[Fedora-livecd-list] "Input/output error" and/or "Bus error" for most commands

John.Florian at dart.biz John.Florian at dart.biz
Mon Mar 11 13:31:07 UTC 2013

> From: Frederick Grose <fgrose at gmail.com>

> Thank you for the review!  I've updated the wiki page based on your
comments,
> https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveOS_image

That is much improved, but it may still leave a question in the reader's
mind.  I'd change the page myself (assuming I can), but I don't want to
embed false information.  I mean, I use livecd-tools a LOT, but to say I'm
an expert for all of its use cases would be quite a stretch.  So, I'd
propose something like this:

Critical limitation
LiveOS overlays are employed as write-once files, which always consume
space—never releasing space for reuse. Should the overlay storage space,
whether temporary or persistent, be totally consumed, the system will
likely crash with Input/output or Bus errors.  If such a crash does occur
while using temporary storage space for the overlay, a simple reboot will
rectify the situation.  With persistent storage the situation is more dire
and will require ... (I don't know this case at all).  In either case,
achieving the reboot likely will require a hard reset since attempting a
software initiated reboot will probably fail with more Input/output or Bus
errors.

Thank you for improving this page!  It would be awesome to get knowledge
unique to this page incorporated back into the appropriate man pages too.
--
John Florian