[Fedora-livecd-list] Persistance

Bruno Wolff III bruno at wolff.to
Sat Apr 5 05:17:15 UTC 2014

On Fri, Apr 04, 2014 at 21:13:44 -0700,
   ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:

>The current stick I am using is 16 GB.

You should be able to do a normal install with 16 GB. (Though you can use
a lot more than that if you install enough packages.)

>I use the Live USB as rescue disk at my customer sites (mostly
>to save Windows computers).  I had though of installing directly,
>but have been told that I can not expect that /dev/sda will
>always be the stick.

That shouldn't matter for booting. The device should be known by its UUID.
(The install process will set that up as a kernel parameter. You shouldn't
have to do anything special for that.)

There might be some machines that will boot off the device with a FAT
file system, but not with other file systems. But I suspect that would be
limited to older machines.