[Fedora-livecd-list] Script to merge persistent overlay into new image

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sun Feb 23 20:55:33 UTC 2014

On Sun, Feb 23, 2014 at 2:45 PM, James Heather <j.heather at surrey.ac.uk>wrote:

> There's an incredibly useful-looking script on here
>
> http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/LiveOS_image
>
> that merges a LiveOS snapshot overlay into a new root filesystem, and
> replaces it on the USB stick, so that you get all your overlay space back.
> I've been looking for such a script for a while.
>
> Is it included in livecd-tools? Or any other Fedora package? (I'm
> reluctant to run the script on the web page, because I'm not sure how well
> tested it is.)
>
> The script appears to claim that it can cope with being run from the USB
> stick itself, while it's booted up, which sounds too good to be true (or,
> at least, too good to be safe).
>
> James

I wrote and tested that script.

I frequently use this Python script, editliveos.py, which can be run from a
directory containing these files:
https://git.sugarlabs.org/~FGrose/soas/sugar-clone-extensions/trees/master/editliveos

The output of editliveos.py --help is here:
https://git.sugarlabs.org/~FGrose/soas/sugar-clone-extensions/blobs/master/editliveos/editliveos-help

If you run editliveos.py from a booted LiveOS image, it schedules a reboot
1 minute after completion.  Errors sometimes appear after the filesystems
are swapped, but the new rootfs.img or ext3fs.img has always been good.  If
you use a separate home.img filesystem, it can have some unclosed inodes
that are cleaned by e2fsck.

       --Fred