[Fedora-livecd-list] dracut module 'dmsquash-live' cannot be found or installed.

John Florian john.florian at dart.biz
Mon Nov 10 22:12:55 UTC 2014

On Mon, Oct 13, 2014 at 11:23 AM, John Florian <john.florian at dart.biz> wrote:
I have a script that causes a new initrd to be built for my live images (that have been written to flash drives).  This script works great on Fedora 18 but causes the error (see subject) when run a Fedora 20 system – both having been created by livecd-tools.  My script calls _LiveImageCreatorBase__write_dracut_conf() and I can see that dmsquash-live is requested:

# cat /etc/dracut.conf
filesystems+="vfat msdos isofs ext4 xfs btrfs "
drivers+="sr_mod sd_mod ide-cd cdrom =ata sym53c8xx aic7xxx ehci_hcd uhci_hcd ohci_hcd usb_storage usbhid firewire-sbp2 firewire-ohci sbp2 ohci1394 ieee1394 mmc_block sdhci sdhci-pci pata_pcmcia mptsas udf virtio_blk virtio_pci virtio_scsi virtio_net virtio_mmio virtio_balloon virtio-rng ums_realtek  "
add_dracutmodules+=" dmsquash-live pollcdrom "
hostonly="no"
dracut_rescue_image="no"

Interestingly, the pollcdrom module on that same line is included in the initrd without any problem.  Both modules appear to be available for inclusion:

# dracut --list-modules | sort
base
bash
biosdevname
btrfs
busybox
cms
convertfs
crypt
crypt-gpg
crypt-loop
dasd
dasd_mod
dasd_rules
debug
dm
dmraid
dmsquash-live
drm
ecryptfs
fs-lib
fstab-sys
i18n
img-lib
kernel-modules
lvm
mdraid
modsign
multipath
plymouth
pollcdrom
qemu
rescue
resume
rootfs-block
selinux
shutdown
syslog
systemd
systemd-bootchart
system-upgrade
system-upgrade-fedora
terminfo
udev-rules
url-lib
usrmount
virtfs
watchdog
zfcp
zfcp_rules

Does anyone have an easy answer to this one?  I’ll keep digging deeper but thought someone here might already know what’s going on.

--
John Florian

​Sorry for the late reply.

Does this link help?
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/How_to_create_and_use_Live_USB#Kernel_updates​

​        --Fred​

Thanks for the reply, although I've already resolved the issue.

I had to force the HostOnly mode to be disabled.  python-imgcreate, which generates my /etc/dracut.conf file already has an entry for "hostonly=no".  However, a related file named /usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/01-dist.conf has "hostonly=yes" and according to DRACUT.CONF(5), "it will overwrite parameters set in /etc/dracut.conf."  The same man page states that, "Command line parameters will overwrite any values set in those config files."  Apparently a command-line option specifying an alternate config file will not be treated as if the contents of that config file were stated directly on the command-line themselves.  Thus it's necessary to explicitly disable the hostonly mode on the dracut command line, otherwise the critical dmsquash-live module will be excluded and the resultant initramfs will be unable to make the squashed root file system available.

Reading the link you sent seems to confirm what I found.  Thanks anyway Fred!

--
John Florian