[Fedora-livecd-list] need advice on stick

Roger Baran, Owner rapidrecoveryit at gmail.com
Thu Oct 2 20:09:47 UTC 2014

There should be no reason why you cannot do a straight, encrypted
install to a USB; with the caveat explained below. CD media is typically
mounted as read-only so all you can do there is burn your iso to the
CD/DVD and boot into the OS. No persistence is available.

You can also run Fedora from a USB with persistence, but you will not be
able to have it encrypted. Live media is adaptive to the hardware
environment and installed media is 'set' based upon the hardware present
at install time. So, if you installed it with encryption to a USB, then
you would/should only run it on machines that have *exteremely* similar
hardware. That is the advantage of Live media -- universality.

In this, as in all things, you cannot 'have your cake and eat it too' :)

Having a Live USB with persistence is probably going to be your best bet
if you want to use it on several different platforms -- but it won't be
encrypted. That said, with persistence, you could always install
TrueCrypt or some other application with which to create some encrypted
space on the USB. A main benefit of this method is that you don't have
to do all of the research into how to mount LUKS partitions manually. :)

One more thing to keep in mind is that you should use the 64Bit (x86_64)
version of the ISO to ensure compatibility with UEFI systems; so as to
boot into UEFI mode on those computers without issues. Burn the media to
the USB using the Fedora-livecd tool for best results. You can get that
tool from: https://fedorahosted.org/liveusb-creator/

You may also find the following links useful:
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FedoraLiveCD
http://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/20/html/Burning_ISO_images_to_disc/

--
Warm Regards,