[Fedora-livecd-list] Direct install?

Frederick Grose fgrose at gmail.com
Sat May 9 19:44:02 UTC 2015

On Fri, May 8, 2015 at 9:36 PM, ToddAndMargo <ToddAndMargo at zoho.com> wrote:

> On 05/08/2015 06:12 PM, ToddAndMargo wrote:
>
>> Hi All,
>>
>> I am always having something go wrong with Live USB.  I occurs to me
>> that why don't I just directly install FC21 to a flash drive?  Will this
>> work and will it be bootable?   (I use the Live CD to do installs, so I
>> don't need that feature on a bootable stick.)
>>
>> Many thanks,
>> -T
>>

> Please cancel question.
>
> Oh oh.  Just found this:
> http://www.tuxradar.com/content/how-install-linux-usb-flash-drive

​This is not the full story.​

    Live CDs scan the hardware at boot time, and so are likely to be
> compatible with the most machines.

​Dracut can be configured to​ not default to the hostonly="yes" option
(/usr/lib/dracut/dracut.conf.d/01-dist.conf in Fedora). So you can build an
initial ram filesystem that has the same hardware capability as the
LiveCD/USB.

    Live CDs must by necessity have a small footprint, which means there's
> more space for your files - or you can just buy a smaller, cheaper drive.
>
>     Live CDs run as much as they can in RAM, which makes for better
> performance.

​USB3 flash drives are quite fast.  A regular installation can also be
configured to take advantage of the available RAM.
​
​

>     Live CDs don't use swap.

​In Fedora, my Linux swap partition on a hard disc is recognized and used
by a LiveUSB.  One could also create a swap file on the USB drive,
https://docs.fedoraproject.org/en-US/Fedora/14/html/Storage_Administration_Guide/s2-swap-creating-file.html

With the large USB flash drives you have, a full installation may be your
best and quickest solution.  You should try it before dismissing the option.

     --Fred