Licensing problems, solution strategy

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Jul 31 23:36:37 UTC 2009

On Fri, Jul 31, 2009 at 09:35:05PM +0100, Simon Birtwistle wrote:
> > I think that Simon from Zikula is on this list, but as Toshio said, we
> > should reach out to the developers of each of the problem module to
> > let them know what we're proposing to do, which is to take on the
> > action item of ripping out license encumbered bits and replace them
> > with functional equivalents that are GPL licensed.  We'd love to have
> > help from the upstream maintainers within the next several days, but
> > failing that we need to commit to the work ourselves if we want to
> > move it forward.
>

> I am on this list, and reading when I can.  Apologies for my absence - as I
> suspected I am working long hours while away from home with limited access
> to my email.  If you have any specific questions directed at me I'd ask that
> you email me directly, and I'll prioritise anything I receive in my inbox
> ahead of the mailing lists.

Simon, thanks very much for being around here.  I think *our* next
action is described above -- commit to fixing these problems
ourselves.  But if there's a general module maintainers list other
than zikula-discussions to notify, maybe you could help us there.

Generally I think people on zikula-discussions agree that fixing
licensing problems is good (albeit a royal pain).  However, I don't
know that any of the maintainers themselves have agreed to work on
these problems in a way that will accommodate our schedule -- which is
perfectly understandable.  However, I'd like to at least pave the way
for them to receive patches that will fix these problems upstream,
since we try not to carry patches in Fedora for any longer than
necessary.

Would we benefit from a blanket call for *anyone* in the Zikula
community with PHP/JavaScript experience to help?  I'm not sure
anyone's made that request yet, but if you put your weight behind it,
we might have a bit more luck!