Setting up a weekly zikula test cycle

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Fri Feb 5 19:35:13 UTC 2010

Hi, FWN! (Copying logistics as a FYI.)

We're at the point where we have Fedora Insight (a.k.a. FI,
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Fedora_Insight) up on staging
(https://stg.fedoraproject.org/insight/) and ready to have a workflow
and content put on it. The theme isn't done, nor is the URL schema, but
everything needed to get content in and through it should be up and
running.

Our first target for production is to help FWN migrate its workflow from
ttp://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/WorkFlow to
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/FWN/FIWorkFlow - the latter being what
Pascal and Dale came up with at FUDCON
(http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Zikula_hackfest). To figure out when
we're ready to pull the switch, I'd like to propose the following weekly
test cycle.

1. Every Monday, after FWN is published, we do a little sprint to take
the just-published FWN content and "republish" it using the FI workflow
as it's written at that time.

2. If we find a bug in the FWN FI workflow, report it (and FWN can fix
it before the next sprint). If we find a bug in our zikula deployment,
report it (and the deployment team will fix it before the next sprint).

3. Repeat.

This way, once we flip the switch, we'll already have several back
issues of FWN queued up on Insight, and a crew that's familiar with
using the new software. What we need to be ready for this to happen (I
think we have most of it already, but would like confirmation):

1. Making sure that the FWN workflow how-to instructions should be so
clear that anyone can follow them - I will be there and helping, but
need instructions to tell me what to do. ;)

2. Make sure that any setup (categorization, pagemaster-fu, etc.) needed
is documented and done on the staging instance - again, this is a "FWN,
tell us how you are setting up - this is your space!" thing.

3. Figure out who/what-roles from FWN should have what administrative
privileges in zikula, and make (and hook-in) the appropriate FAS groups
to make that happen. (I don't think we have done this yet - what would
you like to do here?)

Thoughts? Does this sound like a good next-step for getting started?

Thanks!

--Mel