Drupal Versioning in EPEL

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Mon Oct 18 12:17:04 UTC 2010

On Fri, Oct 15, 2010 at 02:35:33PM -0600, Stephen John Smoogen wrote:
> 2010/10/15 Toshio Kuratomi <a.badger at gmail.com>:
> >>
> >> Not if the main package is called "drupal" (IMO). Because then we'd be
> >> again at 'needing new review on update' which you're warning about
> >> below.
> >>
> >> So for the case of the current fedora drupal setup (with one package
> >> called drupal and that shipping the current version) "drupal-cck-1.2"
> >> would be the right thing to name that package (which means that we'd
> >> need to epoch the old version out for the existing modules).
> >>
> > Correct.

> >> [rereviews and support periods]
> >>
> >> I'm starting to think that it's probably best to leave things as they
> >> are. Fedora has "drupal", EL gets drupal6.
> >>
> >> If leaving drupal6 out of EL-5 completely is an option I'd be happy to
> >> create a 'backport' repository with the drupal 6 packages on
> >> repos.fedorapeople.org. If fedora insight would need to be deployed on
> >> RHEL5 then we could put the backports into the infrastructure repo.
> >>
> > This is also correct.  The question of pushing drupal6 packages to EL-5 is
> > probably a matter of whether there's a demand for druapl6 running on RHEL5
> > and whether anyone wants to take the time to package it.
>
> Fedora Infrastructure has a need for drupal6. The new insight project
> will be using drupal6 and the app servers are currently (and will be
> for a while) running EL5.

Yup, we do want Drupal 6 available on EL-5 for sure.

* * *

About the version naming, sorry for the kerfuffle.  I see no problem
with having module NVR like:

drupal6-flexifilter-1.2-1

As a bunch of us discussed in another thread, different major releases
of Drupal (for instance) are extremely different frameworks, and it's
not at all unusual for people to want to run multiples.  Given these
are very high level frameworks (as opposed to running different
versions of e.g. Python), we should be able to support both in Fedora.
This is particularly true since we want to continue to make Fedora
hospitable for people doing development work for production systems
running these different Drupal frameworks.

I'd think that whether you're using Fedora or an enterprise system
using EPEL-5/EPEL-6 add-ons, having 'yum install drupal6' do the same
thing on both platforms would be less confusing.  I think that Jon
Ciesla was looking at doing this changeover in Rawhide/F-15 so that in
the future we'll have 'drupal6' and 'drupal7' packages there.

Since Drupal 5 is "going away" shortly (in the sense that will stop
receiving maintenance) once Drupal 7 is introduced, it should be easy
to transition EL-5 and EL-6 to have 'drupal7' namespaced packages.  If
I understand Jon's plans right, starting with Fedora 15 'drupal' would
become 'drupal6', and 'drupal7' would be available there too, not long
after that version is officially released.  In all cases we could use
'drupalN' namespaced core and module packages, and keep the version
numbers adherent to the Packaging Guidelines.