Fedora Insight podcast integration idea

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jun 7 20:21:30 UTC 2011

On Tue, Jun 07, 2011 at 08:19:52PM +0200, Peter Borsa wrote:
> Hi!
>
> Let me try this again. Here are two use case which I imagined, I hope
> it will helpful. If you have any use case, please, tell me.
>
> * General users / Fedora contributors
>
>   * I want to find all podcasts about Fedora.
>
>   RIGHT NOW: There are some podcasts on the different places like
> wiki. (http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/F11_release_podcasts)
>   These podcasts are hard to find.
>
>   SHINY FUTURE: I would like to see a list where I can find all
> podcasts that are recorded, can sort those by name, date etc-etc.

This seems like a medium or huge win, because we really have nothing
serving this purpose currently.

>   * I want to listen to those podcasts on the page.
>
>   RIGHT NOW: I can not listen to those because there is a link to the
> file(mp3, ogg). If I do not have a browser plugin I can not play it in
> the browser.
>
>   SHINY FUTURE: I would like to use a flash player to listen to those
> podcasts, create a playlist.

This seems like a small win to me, because most browsers do have
plugin support for either free (Ogg Vorbis) or non-free (MP3) formats.
Obviously we would want to provide the free format, but have some sort
of graceful fallback so people who are trying to find out more about
Fedora using a user-hostile platform (without free codec support) can
still do so.  The mechanics of that aren't important right now, we can
debate that part later if needed.

What do people think about these estimates?

--
Paul