Letter concerning photographs

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Fri Apr 9 00:35:54 UTC 2010

On Thu, Apr 08, 2010 at 05:14:35PM +0300, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 04/08/2010 03:55 PM, Paul W. Frields wrote:
> >
> > I'm not sure about this, but the Picture Book was going to be offered
> > for sale, which might have changed the landscape of needing a release.
> > Our purpose here is obviously not commercial sale, and perhaps the
> > combination of that factor with having only our community members in
>
> Commercial/not commercial don't make a difference, the content is going
> to the wiki so it will be licensed as CC-BY-SA and that means allowing
> commercial reuse.
>
> > photographs avoids the problem.  On top of that, we could ask that the
> > photographs be taken in a public place which might further dilute the
> > need for a release.
>
> s/public place/public event/g
>
> I have a lot of good faith in our contributors, I think any of them will
> be glad to have his photo in the release notes.

Yes.  In the end, the release is there to protect the photographer
from risk, when they put the photograph to use in a product or
publication.  Because our subjects are all friends of ours, the
licensing of the photos is clear, and there is no sale involved, the
risk is extremely low.  And if anyone wants their photo removed at any
time, of course we would comply immediately.

As long as the people in the pictures are not minors, and have signed
the CLA, we should not need to worry about releases.