Advertising "open core" software

Yaakov Nemoy loupgaroublond at gmail.com
Thu Apr 15 09:28:05 UTC 2010

2010/4/15 Jan Wildeboer <jwildebo at redhat.com>:
> IMHO only solutions that can be completely implemented by all Fedora users
> without restrictions are worth mentioning in our promo.
>
> So you can guess my answer ;-)

Complete implies a closed set of features, and that closed set can be
best described as all the features a person will *ever* want up to and
including the heat death of the universe.

I would say that for running a mail server in many organisations
zarafa would provide a complete implementation that can be done to the
fullest by any fedora contributor. Unless he/she has a blackberry. But
then again, does sendmail support your blackberry? How about postfix?
Maybe we shouldn't promote those either.

Yes, you are correct, fedora should be aligned with products and
projects coming from companies that are 100% open source, optimally.
As a marketing statement, this should be the way to go. Perhaps you
want to use this as leverage with Zarafa to convince them to go more
open, rather than just closing off any possibilities you have to use
your position as a marketing team to build up a good relationship
where a community member has already done the heavy lifting.

-Yaakov