Why Linux isn't attracting young developers

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Wed Apr 21 19:14:31 UTC 2010

>> On Wed, Apr 21, 2010 at 9:46 AM, Leigh Cantrell Day<lday at redhat.com>  wrote:
>> Is there any demographic data available that accurately depicts the
>> Fedora community, beyond the maintainer group?

>On 04/21/2010 12:57 PM, Robyn Bergeron wrote:
> Other than geographical locations - not really.

Perhaps the question(s) should be "what kinds of demographic data would
we like, how can we get it, and what would we be able to do with it?"

The last one is the interesting one to me; there are some ideas on what
we might do with quantitative data
(https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Talk:Statistics_2.0#Marketing_Use_Cases)
but I have heard few discussions of how to gather and use qualitative
data - why is it that people do or don't join open source as
contributors, how do contributors get started, etc - and it seems to me
that those things may help us answer some of the questions brought up in
this thread.

Ccing Diana Martin since she's doing qualitative research on the Fedora
community and may have some insights as to how this sort of questions
would be tackled with those sorts of research tools. (Diana, the
original thread is
http://lists.fedoraproject.org/pipermail/marketing/2010-April/012587.html,
for context.)

--Mel