[in the news] Linux Format magazine article - Ubuntu vs. Fedora: Which is best?

Sergey Podushkin psv at abbris.ru
Tue Dec 14 00:14:11 UTC 2010

Stephen John Smoogen пишет:
> On Sun, Dec 12, 2010 at 22:52, Sergey Podushkin<psv at abbris.ru>  wrote:
>> Paul-Marc Bougharios пишет:
>>> On Mon, Dec 13, 2010 at 06:13, Misha Shnurapet
>>> <shnurapet at fedoraproject.org<mailto:shnurapet at fedoraproject.org>>  wrote:
>>>
>>>      13.12.2010, 00:15, "Robyn Bergeron"<robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
>>>      <mailto:robyn.bergeron at gmail.com>>:
>>>      this one:
>>>       >
>>>       >
>>>      http://www.techradar.com/news/software/operating-systems/ubuntu-vs-fedora-which-is-best--907546?artc_pg=1
>>>
>>>       >  The Ubuntu team, for example, have radically altered their
>>>      installer for this release to make everything simpler, easier and
>>>      more efficient. One of the new tricks is to have the installer
>>>      collect user input (such as usernames and passwords) while the
>>>      system install is taking place.
>>>       >  Enter your user data and system info while the installer is
>>>      writing packages to the disk, to save a little bit of time.
>>>
>>>      I think it's a great idea.
>>>
>>>      --
>>>      Best regards,
>>>      Misha Shnurapet, Fedora Project Contributor
>>>      http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/User:Shnurapet
>>>      shnurapet AT fedoraproject.org<http://fedoraproject.org>, GPG: 00217306
>>>

>>> Except that it has some issues such as locking/freezing when the
>>> installer is requiring much of the system's resources...
>> I doubt that there are any reasons for this.
>> Moreover anaconda has the ability to use the same info, and gets it from
>> a kickstart file. I think it's not too hard to implement gathering such
>> info during installation process.
>> And Ubuntu prove it. Any locking/freezing is a bugs and should be fixed.
>>

> Ubuntu didn't prove anything :). Red Hat used to have that also.. the
> reasons why it was moved out of anaconda was the fact that
>
> a) people asked for it to be out of it (everyone else is doing a
> firstboot why arent we)
We should suggest a choice to user. It would be wise.
Why I should waste a time by waiting when installation ends, if I can do
something useful in process?
Firstboot is a way to do something, that was missed during installation,
so we definately should move this action to installation process. This
will makes a way to ready-to-use state much shorter.

> b) anaconda is a very bit of complicated code. Removing things like
> user addition and such makes it a lot easier to deal with.
Silly argument. Complexity is a reason to find a way to overcome, rather
than go away. ;)

--
With best regards, Sergey Podushkin   |   С уважением, Сергей Подушкин
phone: +7 906 955-22-51               |   тел. +7 906 955-22-51