I had a cool Idea why don't we put on an artshow!

Nelson Marques 07721 at ipam.pt
Tue Feb 16 16:45:23 UTC 2010

On Tue, 2010-02-16 at 11:18 +0200, Nicu Buculei wrote:
> On 02/15/2010 10:02 PM, Justin O'Brien wrote:
> >
> > I had an idea Brainstorming in #f-mktg. We were trying to come up with
> > ways to extend our reach. Getting Free Software/Linux people is awesome
> > but who else might be interested in Fedora? so I thought why don't we
> > put on a Fedora Project artshow?!?
> >

> > Here is what I was invisioning...
> >
> >   * we somehow procure a gallery
>
> We (Design Team) persuaded Infrastructure to give us a test instance of
> some galley software and got Gallery2. It was cumbersome and not
> integrated with the rest of the Fedora web presence, so it was very
> little used and not advertised at all (it was a step-up from our
> previous try to use the wiki for the same task). I believe the test
> instance was removed in the mean time.

To keep a community alive, I would recon we will need more than this. I
would add the possibility of having micro-blogging functionanility
attached to this gallery. Interaction will be a key feature in keeping
the community alive and recruiting new people, besides keeping a high
interest degree from those already involved.

> In the testing space there is also a gallery envisioned mostly for
> Ambassadors use: http://publictest16.fedoraproject.org/plogger/ again,
> with an unfriendly interface and very little use.
>
> It should be also mentioned the Albums section of fedoraforum.org:
> http://forums.fedoraforum.org/album.php which is, no offense - posted my
> own share of crap there, a bit of a mess.
>
> There are also Fedora groups on sites like deviantART and flickr, but
> those are not to be used for our core functionality, being closed
> platforms (so out of the 4 foundations).
>
> >   * Fedorians bring in some art they had done
> >   * we invite people from the art world to see it
> >   * try to get written up in art mags (do they exist, if so which ones)
>
> We first have to gather the creation and grow confident they are good
> enough.
>
> >   * thought this would be an awesome way to show that art and
> > freesoftware are great partners
> >   * thought this would be a way that people could parade out that one
> > desgin they had for $fedoraVersionInThePast that just didnt make it
>
> I was thinking about this also as a way to give users stuff they may
> like to use - wallpapers and such.
>
> >   * would be a way to see the creative side of people we didnt know had
> > one (how many coders/marketing people/legal etc are also painters,
> > sculpters, etc)
>
> Many people do not realize this: is not *that* hard to create art, you
> just have to have a story to tell, the rest is only tools and we have
> the tools.

I do agree, but tools aren't just enough. There should also be present a
strong human bound and at some point an environment of cumplicity
amongst our users.

Being a student myself, I've been developing works for school that aim
real life situations. I would eventually point to a campaign that aims
to target art students through schools.
About deviantart, they provide sales services (and I do "gear up" my
desktop on DeviantART). We shouldn't probably take such approach, but
the functionality (non-commercial) should be something that we can take
as a good example.
If you look at http://art.gnome.org, it's been dead for quite some time,
and it's way smaller than Deviant Art. So there's a good example that
just a small gallery isn't enough. We need more... As an artist, what
would you consider important to have to build a community and keep them
interested everyday ?

Nelson