Self-introduction: Aamir Aijaz Bhutto

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Tue Jan 12 21:13:08 UTC 2010

Just off the top of my head...

I did some research on a project revolving around a video-game concept
a few years back.  Long story short, one of the interesting things I
found was that many APAC countries have a LOT of gamers using games
that most europeans and americans have not heard of - with HUGE
subscription rates.  However, unlike the US, where a big company might
charge $15-20 a month for a subscription, these games are charging, in
comparison, very low fees - $1 - $5 a month - because their end users
in those countries do not have the same average income as Europe /
Americas users do.

These gamers are the ones who would directly benefit from a free OS -
and the software developers would certainly widen their pool of
available users if they were developing games to run on a linux
platform, thereby increasing their subscription revenues.

So while I don't have anything USEFUL here - you know, like the names
of the games or the companies developing them, which would obviously
be helpful - maybe that would be a good place to start researching
companies that might be interested in developing games for Linux (or
may already be, and would be interested in perhaps collaborating with
Fedora on how to make those end-users' experiences better).

Some google search terms you might try out are

* most popular online games South Korea
(insert other country names as needed)

* online game revenues (country here)

* MMORPG popular (country here)

... See if you can narrow down the field to some specific Games, or
companies, that might be using Linux, or might be a good target to
work witha  company on converting them.  And in the meantime, develop
a set of "why developing games to run on Linux is a good idea" that
could be pitched to those companies.

-robyn