idea! - Fedora Marketing Book Club

Robyn Bergeron robyn.bergeron at gmail.com
Thu Jan 28 03:46:41 UTC 2010

Greg's blog post today
(http://gregdekspeaks.wordpress.com/2010/01/27/fedoras-goals/) has
rekindled (no amazon pun intended, i swear!) a thought I had a while
back on starting a marketing book club.  Mchua and I had discussed it
a bit on irc sometime late last year, but I think we were focused on
something else at the time, and the idea was lost.

Until now! I would like to propose that we have a "book club" for
marketing-reading-material, but of course, not limited to marketing
team members.

The basics of what I'm thinking are:

* We start with a book in March.  One book per month - at the end of
each month, we have an IRC discussion on what we've learned, and how
we can apply it to Fedora and what we're working on.  Hopefully,
everyone will want to do things like blog about what they've read and
learned, or write about it to the fedora-mktg mailing list, or add a
review to the book club wiki.

* Everyone is welcome to join.  Nobody is -required- to join.

* Books are on our own individual dime (books are good for you! better
than coffee!) - we should do our best to pick things that are likely
available at the library (ie: not just freshly released last week).
If budget for a book is a problem and it can't be found, we should try
to accommodate people so they can participate.

The goal here (yes, I bang that goal drum a lot!) is to increase our
collective knowledge about All Things Marketing,  provide a forum for
discussing what we've learned, and provide us with some brainstorming
and inspiration on things we can do to improve Marketing.

Thoughts? Feedback? :)  I've made a wiki page to get the ball rolling
- hopefully we can work out the minor details (things like, "I have no
clue how to run a book club discussion, do you?") between now and
March.  This is meant to be fun / enriching - not MORE WORK! - so I
hope people are interested, and if anyone thinks that one book a month
is too much, please say so.

http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Book_Club

Cheers!

-robyn