Partial HootSuite access to Identi.ca

Paul W. Frields stickster at gmail.com
Tue Jul 6 21:45:21 UTC 2010

I discovered Identi.ca has a few snarls involved in OpenID access --
not the least of which is you can't *re-use* an OpenID you're using on
one Identi.ca account for another.

So I set up a special Ping.fm account that is hooked to the @fedora
Identi.ca account.  I also entered it into HootSuite, and sent out
invitations to the whole FAS social networking team giving access to
this account.  So here's how it works now:

For new status updates -- updates that are *not* replies:
1. Login to HootSuite.
2. Select *ONLY* the Ping.fm "Fedora" account.
The status echoes to Identi.ca @fedora, which echoes to Twitter
@fedora.

For replies:
1. Login to HootSuite.
2. Select *ONLY* the account you're replying on, probably Twitter
   @fedora.
The status only goes to the Twitter account where the mention
happened.

Although this does put another web service between us and Identi.ca,
it doesn't *restrict* us from sending messages in another way.  As
we've said repeatedly before, we'll continue to look for 100% FOSS
management apps to which we can migrate in the future.