Zarafa: And how Linux can finally Conquer the world

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Thu Jun 24 06:33:10 UTC 2010

Hi,

http://blogs.techrepublic.com.com/opensource/?p=1633

"During this last week I was writing about an amazing Fedora-based
“Exchange Killer” called Zarafa. During the “working phase” of this
project something hit me like a ton of bricks. That something? How the
Linux community could finally take over the world. And I want to share
that with you.

But first - I want to make mention of the inspiration of that idea. The
inspiration was Zarafa. As I mentioned (near the close of the last
record) this tool is intended to be an open source Exchange Killer. Is
it? From what I can see, yes. Basically Zarafa sits on top of your
working mail server (such as Postfix) and offers connection either via
web access, standard email clients, mobile clients, and yes Outlook! It
looks like Exchange, it acts like Exchange…no one would know the
difference. No one but the administrators. As well you all know,
Exchange is one of the most fragile mail servers available. It must be
cared for constantly. Imagine an “Exchange server” residing on a Linux
machine."

Rahul