SWOT - Strengh's - The Master Plan

Mel Chua mel at redhat.com
Thu Mar 25 13:02:51 UTC 2010

> Back on my SWOT, here's the master plan...
> I've been working on: https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Marketing/SWOT_STR
>
> My goal with this is to present a light weight call for help to Fedora
> Community. On that webpage I want to run a community driven contribution
> (similar to what we done with the release slogan). People should go
> there and fill in the table with the right information. I've established
> the end of May (30th) to take the info and process it accordingly.

This is shaping up very nicely, Nelson! I like the way you're explaining
the process itself on the page - it's like the "view source" equivalent
of doing marketing. ;)

> Now... the deal... I need to spread the word about this on emails to
> lists so that people can participate and know what we are doing. Who can
> help on this list towards that goal ? Advertise this so that people are
> aware of it's importance and can help.

If I were in your shoes, this is what I might do:

1. Try this out with some Marketing contributors - find, say, 3 of us on
IRC (whoever's hanging out in the channel when you're around) and see if
we can follow the steps you want the broader community to follow on the
SWOT. This is to make sure the instructions make sense for people who
may not have heard of a SWOT before (like me). I'd be happy to be one of
your 3 people.

2. Once that works, head to #fedora-devel and #fedora-admin and try and
find... maybe somewhere between 5 and 10 developers/admins to do the
same. This would also be for "debugging the process" - making sure that
people can give you the kind of help you're looking for.

3. Ask the developers who've just tried out your SWOT process how they
would suggest reaching out to other developers, and show them your email
template and ask them what they think of it - they're the ones who'll
have the best ideas on how to revise it for a wider response.

> I can go on and fill in the table (I haven't on purpose), but I don't
> have the know-how and don't know enough about Fedora to handle this, in
> words I would ignore most likely important stuff. This shouldn't happen,
> and eventually a SELinux developer for example would be able to point
> out its importance on Fedora, as an artist could point out his work
> importance.

Yep. I liked the way you phrased it in the message: "I am taking the
assumption that engineers can highlight better the pieces of engineering
in Fedora, as artists can highlight their contributions and so on to
everyone who is involved with Fedora."

> Since we are collecting all the important points, it makes sense to me
> to call for help on the Fedora Community. Another question to the
> list... Who should we contact and appeal for participation? any
> restrictions?
>
> Finally and also very important, if someone wants to review my english,
> feel free to do so...

I made a few light edits to
https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/SWOT_strengths#Personal_Message - you can
see them at
https://fedoraproject.org/w/index.php?title=SWOT_strengths&diff=161586&oldid=161584.

> The goal here is to point all the important things that make Fedora a
> strong organization and product. All the points for Strength's (later
> also for Weaknesses) have to be controllable by Fedora. This means that
> we shouldn't point our things that are out of our grasp. Only reinforces
> the appeal for the community to participate on this.
>
> By the way, the plan is to cover the Fedora 12 life cycle. Later will
> make a new review for Fedora 13 and so on for every release.

This is great - a continued thanks, Nelson, for driving this forward.
It's ambitious, but that's good. :)