Need some time in a future Marketing Meeting.

wonderer wonderer4711 at gmx.de
Sun Mar 28 19:19:43 UTC 2010

Hy Nelson,

> meeting to introduce and discuss some topics:
>
>  * Cultural aspects in Communication - it's importance, as Fedora aims
> to an International Community.
>  * Consider what we shouldn't associate with Fedora.
>  * Symbology and Brand Association
>  * Restriction policy towards potential "harmful" symbology

I see your point regarding the mailings you posted also across the
ambassadors list. But (me personally) also I think there is at THIS
point in time more important work to do regarding upcoming F13 release
(feature freeze is already on the move), the marketing tasks already on
the move and upcoming marketing tasks. We should have such things in
mind if it comes to new slogans and icons and stuff like that, but also
know that there are also a Red Hat legal Department which will have a
look at our work as far as I know and if there would be a potentional
harm there would be persons who let us know about it. Also there are
many blogposts, irc discussions, etc. around and if something with bad
influence came up it had popped up already.
Also I think words like "restriction policy" is here totally wrong.
Maybe one tiny section in the upcoming kind of brandbook or Design
Guideline should be enough
>  Give me 2 weeks to get prepared, set a document and gather some
> scientific marketing production to backup this subject and present it.
>  If possible I would like to go remote on voice aswell for this.

I think we ALWAYS could find something that can be uses "against" some
freedom ideas, symbols, etc. Somebody can say that the "f" look like a
hook and associate it with "we hook you up" or "I plow with that hook to
your nose" or something more surreal ;-)
I'm looking forward to read about your thesis and I know what you mean,
but also I think that we are so far really good with "our" symbolism.
But thats only my 2Cents :)

mit freundlichen Grüßen / best regards
Henrik Heigl - wonderer at fedoraproject.org

PGP/GnuPG: 8237 D432 0616 D567 DBC6  3FE3 0D52 B374 F468 A5F0