Fedora and Video

Gregory Maxwell gmaxwell at gmail.com
Mon Mar 29 06:50:55 UTC 2010

On Mon, Mar 29, 2010 at 2:42 AM, Nicu Buculei <nicu_fedora at nicubunu.ro> wrote:
> I am not a veteran but also not a total newbie and my experience is
> painful... right now I am preparing a clip (not directly Fedora related
> but about Document Freedom Day): it was edited in Fedora and due to the
> software (from rpmfusion) being buggy I had to save as .mp4 (h264) and
> try to convert later to Theora. In this particular case the mp4 has
> 235MB and by converting to ogv the file size *increased* to 627MB (it
> does not happen usually, probably because it was filmed outdoors).
> Finding a hosting solution for the Free version is going to be
> troublesome for me.

The size is a setting in the conversion software. You can choose
whatever size you want.  The reason you are getting a large result is
because the conversion tool you are using is defaulting to that target
quality of bitrate.

Of course, the quality is always going to be worse than the h264 file
because you are converting from one lossy format to another.

Have bugs been filed for Theora output for whatever tools you tried
using?   If you'd like I can help you off-list in getting them filed.