Re: Fedora Project em Português

Neville A. Cross nacross at gmail.com
Sat May 1 16:34:46 UTC 2010

2010/5/1 Nelson Marques <07721 at ipam.pt>:
> On Sat, 2010-05-01 at 17:10 +0200, Mario Torre wrote:
>> Correct,
>>
>> I think this is Brasilian Portugues, isn't it?
>
> Objective isn't flaming. I don't know if it is pt_BR or anything else,
> but I know Portuguese it isn't. Explanation goes to Mario in Portuguese
> for Mario only, because I am not sure if I can articulate this properly
> in English:
>
> Eu queria só deixar uma coisa clara, nao é por estar em pt_BR, mas há
> frases que simplesmente fazem qualquer sentido, por exemplo:
>
> "Reporte bugs e cobre melhorias"
>
> A parte do "reporte bugs", isso passa, como uma grande parte do texto, o
> leitor certamente percebe a mensagem, o problema vem logo a seguir
> "cobre melhorias". Cobre como substantivo é um metal (Cu), e enquanto
> forma verbal do verbo "cobrar", que significa taxar, não faz qualquer
> sentido... E deixa o leitor sem qualquer noção do que está para ali
> escrito, acabando por destruir o contexto da frase inteira.

<snip>

I have to agree with Nelson, the page it does not flows smooth when
you are reading it. I am not very good with Portuguese in general,
less with differences across the Atlantic. The wiki page is broken
enough for me to notice. Looks like a machine translation without a
human review.

If this is going to fire a flame war, then have it pt_pt and pt_br. I
may said that having some tasks that make PT community identify and
join will be good. This will allow PT users to see that the can engage
and localize Fedora as much as they like. They can take ownership.
What I may suggest will be important is to agree with the wiki masters
how to integrate the new pages, so nothing is broken in the process
and the pages are easily to find. The most obvious suggestion will be
to create a category and use it extensively.

Best regards

--
Neville
Linux User # 473217