[in the news] Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux

Adam Williamson awilliam at redhat.com
Mon Nov 1 20:56:32 UTC 2010

On Mon, 2010-11-01 at 16:34 -0400, Kara Schiltz wrote:
> ITworld
> 11.1.10
>
> ITworld review: Fedora 14 is leading-edge Linux
> If you want to live right on the cutting edge of what Linux can do, then
> Fedora is the Linux distribution for you
> By Steven J. Vaughan-Nichols
>
> I like Fedora, Red Hat's community Linux distribution, a lot. But, let
> me warn you right now, that it's not a Linux for beginners. That's not
> to say that the newest version of Fedora, Fedora 14 Laughlin
> <http://fedoraproject.org/get-prerelease>, is hard to use. It's not.
> But, if you need a lot of handholding as you explore Linux, I think
> you'll be better off with Ubuntu.
>
> [clip]
>
> On the other hand, there are some really neat, new features in Fedora
> that do work well. I have to say though that they're going to be more
> exiting for system administrators and developers than they are someone
> just running Fedora at home.
>
> Easily the most important of these is the arrival of of Simple Protocol
> for Independent Computing Environment (SPICE
> <http://www.spice-space.org/>). This is a desktop presentation service
> protocol, like Microsoft's RDP (Remote Desktop Protocol) and Citrix's
> ICA (Independent Computing Architecture), that you use to run
> thin-client desktops.
>
> [clip]
>
> Fedora also includes a new interface: MeeGo
> <http://www.itworld.com/meego>. This is the interface for the MeeGo
> operating system, which is meant for netbooks, Mobile Internet Devices
> (MID) and embedded devices. While not as well known or as mature as
> Android <http://www.itworld.com/android>, MeeGo shows great promise. By
> making it available on Fedora, developers can develop applications for
> MeeGo.
>
> Another interesting feature is you need not run Fedora at own on your
> own desktop or server. You can now run Fedora on the Amazon Elastic
> Computing Cloud <http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Features/EC2> (EC2) service.
>
> Full post:
> http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/126064/itworld-review-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux?page=0%2C0

Just before everyone piles on, I've already written a quite long comment
on this review which makes clear that all the issues Steven identifies
were well handled by QA/devel and are fixed in the final release (he
seems to have reviewed a non-updated Beta install):

http://www.itworld.com/operating-systems/126064/itworld-review-fedora-14-leading-edge-linux#comment-62089

I also emailed him privately to offer some details on the QA process and
offer to help him with information on bugs he encounters when
researching future articles.
--
Adam Williamson
Fedora QA Community Monkey