Linux Action Show F14 Review

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Sun Nov 14 01:34:28 UTC 2010

On Sat, Nov 13, 2010 at 2:50 AM, Charles Kerr

> It hasn't...  but, since I was listening anyway, here's my summary of their
> constructive criticism:

[Thanks for doing this.  I did listen to it but didn't have the time earlier
to respond to the points made.  CC'ed the folks doing the show]

>  * Even during a slow release cycle (as everyone's preparing for GNOME 3),
>    it's still important to have something interesting to sell users on the
>    release.  F14 had libjpeg-turbo, D, and openstep, but it didn't have
>    a "hook."

Yeah.  We don't have many end user facing features this cycle but I agree
the announcement could have highlighted more features that we have and cover
the listed features in more details.  Not many people are aware of libjpeg
stagnant state and it's impact (bugs, lacklustre performance etc) on all the
consumers (image viewers, vnc etc)  for example.  I did that for the last
three releases or so but didn't find time this cycle and I don't think we
did a good job with the announcement this time.  The release notes does
cover more details as well as the one page release notes but a good
announcement is important anyway.

>  * Some of the installer's windows are unpolished.  These were cited:
>    http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Install3.png
>    http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Install4.png
>    http://desktoplinuxreviews.com/wp-content/uploads/2010/11/Install6.png

Yep.  Anaconda team is working on a UI review and will likely include more
changes.

http://www.bangmoney.org/serendipity/index.php?/archives/158-This-Week-in-Anaconda-5.html

In particular, https://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Anaconda/UX_Redesign

>  * gpk-application was found lacking compared to Ubuntu's Software Center.
>    Chris felt that the latter has added value by allowing users to review
>    and rate applications, because that allows other users to discover good
>    applications.

Yes,  Richard Hughes is working on this as well and has made some good
progress

http://blogs.gnome.org/hughsie/2010/09/07/linux-and-application-installing/

PackageKit and frontends like gpk-application and kpackagekit as well as the
application UI that Richard is working on are all distribution neutral
unlike Software Center and coordinating with multiple distributions
sometimes makes progress slower but we all benefit in the end instead of
just one particular distribution.

>   * More broadly, they felt Fedora's biggest problems is perceptual.
>    They feel Fedora doesn't offer hardcore users anything Arch doesn't,
>    that it doesn't offer end-users anything Ubuntu doesn't, and so on.
>    They felt that Fedora's community could be energized if the project
>    did a better job at distinguishing itself in the distro market.

This is something we are focusing on as well.  cf.  new update policy,
Fedora website redesign etc and it would perhaps take a couple more releases
to see what effect it has.

Rahul