Self-Introduction: Viji Nair

Viji V Nair viji at fedoraproject.org
Sun Oct 24 10:48:06 UTC 2010

Hi, my name is Viji Nair and I live in Mumbai, India. (I travel a lot
in India to promote FOSS). My Fedora Account System (FAS) username is
viji, and my IRC nick is also viji.

I learned about the Fedora Marketing team through the
fedoraproject.org, and am interested in joining because I am working
as an Open source evangelist for the last 10 years and a long term
contributor to multiple Linux projects. I could see fedora as a
bleeding edge platform to test and deploy most of the cutting edge
technology in distributed computing and cloud today. I am working with
many government and private sectors on
migration/development/deployment of their infrastructure to FOSS, so,
I believe fedora will be a very good choice as a platform.

I've worked in open source and/or Free Software in the past. Some of
the projects I've worked on, or communities I've been involved with,
include: reiser4 filesystem where I am doing QA, support, and
community-organizing work, and FreeIPA where I do more of the same.
You can find more details about my work on -
http://fedoraproject.org/wiki/Viji_V_Nair

This is the first Marketing project I have worked on!

My skills, which I hope to utilize in Fedora Marketing, include:

Marketing Skills:

My background is engineering, I have to learn a lot. I have a
reasonable understanding about the features of Fedora when compared to
other distribution, I am already promoting the same in different
colleges

Other Skills:

* I am into core technology, so, I can provision fedora very well into
a any technical requirement.
* Documentation and wiki
* Conferences and workshops

I'd also like to learn: The different ways we can promote Fedora in
Academic institutions like engineering and MCA colleges.

When I'm not working on Fedora, I am working with Reliance BIG Entertainment.

A couple of goals I have for the Fedora Project are conducting more
marketing campaigns in Mumbai region. I would also like to see more
technical events on different new technology happening in India
promoted by Fedora

I am wondering about what has been done in Marketing in the past,
specifically in Mumbai region.

Please help me get started!

Thanks & Regards

Viji Nair