Fedora Depot/Mart? (Re: Why is there no Fedora Project Store?)

Harish Pillay hpillay at redhat.com
Sat Apr 2 14:03:57 UTC 2011

* on the Sat, Apr 02, 2011 at 02:19:25PM +0200, Christoph Wickert was commenting:
> Am Freitag, den 01.04.2011, 23:38 +0800 schrieb Harish Pillay:
> >
> > The PackageKit GUI (convenient screenshots
> > here: http://www.packagekit.org/pk-screenshots.html) does not have the
> > same feel as a marketplace/appstore.
>
> Why do you think so? I don't think there is much difference: There is
> applications grouped by topic and a description. Compared to an appstore
> it lacks screenshots but given the size of our repodata I doubt we
> should add more stuff on top.

It is about perception. It is about branding.

> > It does not speak to the non-techie user.
>
> Frankly speaking I feel we have had a lot of problems recently because
> we are are trying too hard to speak to non-techie issues.

I am not proposing solving all problems. I am specifically suggesting
that we consider making the addition/removal of applications friendlier.

> > Consider:
> >
> > "Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
> > "Ok, go to System->Administration->Add/Remove Software"
> >
> > conversation or would this:
> >
> > "Oh, you want an app that allows you to capture business card info?"
> > "Ok, go to Fedora Mart and search for 'business card reader'"
> >
> > be better?
>
> Sorry, this is not a fair comparison: You make PackageKit sound
> extremely unsexy and Fedora Mart too easy. Why do you describe how to
> find PackageKit but not Fedora Mart? Packagekit even has the more
> descriptive name.
>
> IMHO the correct analogy is:
> "Ok, go to Add/Remove Software and search for 'business card reader'"
>
> Not much difference, isn't it?
>
> The only difference is the terminology, but markets and stores only make
> sense if you have to *sell* something.

You are missing the point.  it is NOT about *selling* anything per se.
It is riding on an awareness that "this is how you add/remove apps"
in a form that clicks with what has been done elsewhere.

My minor nit-picking about "PackageKit is that it does not sound to
a non-techie anything like a "tool to add/delete apps. Heck, in the
menu list, you do not even see PackageKit anywhere.

Nowhere am I suggesting changing any code or how yum/rpm works.

My suggestion comes from a recent interaction with a group of teachers
to whom I was showcasing Fedora. What they saw interested them
significantly.

When they played around with the desktop (it was on a Live CD), one
of them asked about how she could get apps into the system. I showed
her the System->Admin->Add/Remove steps and she remarked "isn't
there a marketplace?".  I said this is the same as a marketplace,
but to her, it was too arcane.  We are missing great opportunities
to ride on a growing meme to address end user perceptions by not
considering my proposal.

Harish