[In the news] Mmm mmm good - YouTube videos now served in WebM

Rahul Sundaram metherid at gmail.com
Wed Apr 20 17:09:50 UTC 2011

Hi

With Firefox 4 as the default web browser in Fedora 15,  users will now
be able to access a wide variety of content in YouTube without any need
for a third party plugin or patent encumbered codecs

http://youtube-global.blogspot.com/2011/04/mmm-mmm-good-youtube-videos-now-served.html

"To that end, all new videos uploaded to YouTube are now transcoded into
WebM. WebM is an open media file format for video and audio on the web.
Its openness allows anyone to improve the format and its integrations,
resulting in a better experience for you in the long-term. As we work to
transcode more videos into WebM, we hope to reduce the technical
incompatibilities that prevent you from accessing video while improving
the overall online video landscape.

Transcoding all new video uploads into WebM is an important first step,
and we’re also working to transcode our entire video catalog to WebM."

Rahul