New Year, New advertising campaign?

Igor Pires Soares igorsoares at gmail.com
Tue Feb 22 14:45:42 UTC 2011

Em Seg, 2011-02-21 às 12:41 +0800, Misha Shnurapet escreveu:
> 21.02.2011, 09:28, "María Leandro" <tatica at fedoraproject.org>;:
>
> >  Now, What made me focus on this ones? They are worldwide known. Being a non_en speaker (you can know by my terrible english) We should be thinking in an _easy, short and consistent between languages_ slogan that defines Fedora.
>
> I like that "consistent between languages" thing. As a member of L10N team and Russian translation team coordinator I remember the hard times we've had trying to translate the four foundations into Russian [1]. The result came as either words starting with F but with a slightly different meaning making the translation pointless or words not starting with an F at all (because of the absence of a close equivalent with F) [2]. We then decided to leave it in the original. As a result, there is no Fedora slogan for the Russian community.
>
> A slogan may consist of words that sound similar across different languages, such as those with Latin or Greek origin. Many of them are used on a regular basis in English while being understandable in sound by foreigners without a translation. For instance, the following are very similar to Spanish, French and Russian equivalents in sound or transliteration:

Interesting that you mentioned this. It's something I have been thinking
since the 4F's were created. The 4F's aren't 4F's in Portuguese as well.
I do think the concept of the four foundations is great, but when
translated to other languages it loses its shape. That reflects not only
on the impact of the message we are trying to pass but also on the
creation of promotional material.

You made a good point here and this is something that definitely should
be taken into consideration for our marketing tasks. We can tell from
Ambassadors and Smolt statistics that most part of our users and
contributors are from parts of the world where English isn't that main
language. Keeping that in mind is crucial for transmitting a consistent
message around the world.

Regards,
--
Igor Pires Soares
Fedora Ambassador (Brazil) - Member of FAmSCo